- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet mini peppers
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 2/3 cup of cubed firm tofu
- 1 peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger(optional)
- 1 medium lemon
- 1/3 chopped parsley
Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat.
Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, mini peppers and salt and saute until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
Add the diced tofu and bring it to a boil for 2 more min. Sprinkle some ginger and chopped parsley to give it nice flavor. Lemon juice is optional. I like my soups when it has a sour taste! Serve immediately.